Thursday, April 9, 2009

Myth: Breastfeeding is "natural" and easy

Many people think that since breastfeeding is a "natural" thing to do, that it should be easy. New mothers and fathers are often shocked when they find out that it doesn't just come "naturally", and they're struggling along to make it work. Breastfeeding is a
learned behavior by both mother and baby. In contrast to the past, today, in our country, most new mother's do not have aunts, sisters, and mothers surrounding them in an extended family to offer help when breastfeeding isn't going well. If you do have them around, it is very likely that they bottle fed their babies and don't have experience with breastfeeding.


If you find yourself in a difficult breastfeeding situation, you are not alone! The best thing you could do for yourself, your baby, and your family, is to get the help you need. Sometimes LaLeche League or a friend who is experienced at breatfeeding is all you need. At other times, you need to recognize the need for a professional lactation consultant. Yes, it costs money....but it is money that will be well spent, and make a huge difference. It is money that will save you lots of dollars on formula and visits to the doctor. Do yourself a favor. You ARE worth it!

When I had my first child, I had some of the most miserable 8 weeks of my life. I was too cheap to pay for a lactation consultant. I knew I needed help, and would call and talk over the phone, but never spent the money to have one come and help me. I had mastitis 5 times in 8 weeks. Eventually, a doctor told me I had to stop breastfeeding. To tell the truth, I was never so relieved. As a mother, I wanted the very best for my baby, and was willing to do whatever it took to give her the benefits of breast milk...but it was making me constantly sick.

Now, I know a whole lot more! In hind sight, I recognize many things that were not done right, and many things that I could have done to help the situation. I would like to be able to share my experience and knowledge in a way that can help you reach your breastfeeding goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment